Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Disillusionment

Why is the current situation in my country making it so hard for me to vote for candidates from my own party? It's not that the Democrats are more in line with my ideology, because they are, by and far, not, it's just I find that the Republicans that are up for election aren't the better of the two options. What the hell? Bush could have been a good president. But he listens to his advisors. And his advisors are terrible, hand-wringing, double-dealing, stereotypical rich white guys. And I hate that they get the term neo-conservative. Isn't "new" supposed to be "better?" Does that make me a "Paleoconservative?" Paleo - Old, ancient. Conservative - Favoring traditional views and values; moderate, cautious. That is me. A conservative of the values and flavors of older times. An often anachronistic adherence to old traditions and values. I may be out of date, but just because it's new, doesn't mean it's better. I give you Cheney, King of the Neocons.

Also, it's damn near impossible to get a job these days, because I can't just talk to a person anymore. It's all computers and test and answers. Gone are the days when you can walk into a place and talk to a manager or owner. I have to file an application and call only to have the hiring manager be gone on a two week vacation, gone for the day, looking over applications next week, or already have passed the applications to the district manager whom I have no means of contacting. I have charisma, I can deal well with authority figures. But why deal with people and gauge someone person-to-person when you can sit back and let a program tell you who would make a good employee based on what could be a massive list of lies.

When I am Emperor Iustus Pius Augustus, I won't have to worry about that.

Of course, if Prophet was still a paying gig, I'd have a job.

No comments: