Saturday, February 17, 2007

New Boots FTW!

Man. It's been a loooong week. Long week.

I don't like funerals. They're uncomfortable. No, I'm not afraid of death. I'm not uncomfortable with the concept. It's the greiving that's uncomfortable. Everyone crying, the air is thick with the smell of grief. And, intellectually at least, I understand that. But I know my grandfather would have been trying to tell people to stop crying. Laugh, smile, it's a beautiful day outside. Go play a round of golf. I've always handled death and dying well. Maybe a little too well. It was a good service, don't get me wrong. It was a great service, really. The message and eulogy were powerful, fitting, moving. I just...don't like funerals. Too somber. People get mad if you laugh at something. Even if it's funny. Especially if it's funny. How dare you laugh! Someone is dead! Yes, and someone died just know while you told me that. Leaving this world is just another step in the grand scheme of things. There's an afterlife out there, people. And all those people there are supposed to be Christians. My Granddaddy Jim has his spot in heaven, so what is there to mourn? I will miss him. I'm not saying I won't. I'm just saying I don't mourn his passing into a better thing. Funerals. Feh. Uncomfortable

I'm also not a fan of ties. Which I wore to the funeral. Stupid tie.

Work's been nuts this week. It's been shockingly busy. Too many people. It's hard to do my job right when a customer has me trapped on the fringes, leaving a dozen or so people free to do whatever they want in the middle. On the upside, the numbers have been stupid awesome. La dee freakin' da. My boots came in yesterday, though. It took special ordering them, but I was finally able to find a pair of good tall boots. the heel on 'em gives me just the right amount of arch to actually put my weight down on more than just my heel and the ball of my foot. Wow! Pulled an eight hour day in them with little or no discomfort. If I had worn better socks, I'd be golden, but the pair I grabbed were a little more worn out than I thought they were. Garbaged!

Chris is back from his two weeks of training for his funeral honors team. He passed with almost flying colors, near perfection on all his scores. Which isn't enough for him, but was well enough for him to be qualified to train others in how to do his job. He can't train trainers, but he can train other people. And now begins the mad dash to get everything we NEED for next weekend. Carnivale! So very exciting!

And now I must go and fail to go to sleep for many hours so I can get up and open tomorrow. Ick. I'm needing a vacation.

and if the train's on time, you can get to work by nine

No comments: