Friday, February 17, 2006

Oh Why Not?

It's been awhile since I posted about Skywarp. Which is significant, since I've made some big changes since the last post. A shiny new processor and a spankerific new video card.

Skywarp 3.0*
Athlon64 3000+ (256KB L1 cache, 1MB L2 cache)
Currently running at 1.8GHz, but I might begin the overclocking soon.
Thermalright XP-90 heatsink
2024MB PC3200 Corsair RAM
Not overclocked. Yet.
SOYO CK8 Dragon Plus Socket 754 Motherboard
160GB HDD (internal)
160GB HDD (internal)
200GB HDD (external)
16x DVD-ROM
16x DVD+/-RW
Floppy Drive
6-in-1 Media Reader
ATI Radeon X1300 Pro 256MB Video Card
Sony Trinitron 19" (Viewable) Flat CRT monitor
6 Port USB 2.0 PCI card (1 internal)
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital sound card
Altec Lansing 5.1 surround speakers w/ powered subwoofer
4 80mm (Purple 4 LED) case fans
1 80mm (Purple 4 LED) CPU fan
2 80mm (Purple 4 LED) power supply fans
Chieftec 420W power supply

It is a shweet rig, it is. The awesomey bit is that the CPU is actually supposed to be a mobile processor. Which means it uses less voltage for the same performance. And it's a much cooler chip to use. So it's awesome to use for overclocking. And right now it's running about 15 degrees Celsius cooler than the Sempron chip did. And that x1300 is an awesome card. It's the newest card I've ever owned. When I bought that old GeForceFX5500 I had, it was a year or so old, technology wise. The GeForceFX6800 had already come out. But the Radeon X1300 Pro came into the store the day I got it. I was just window shopping, comparing prices. It was so new, Newegg even had it at our retail price. It was the first time my store discount was a better deal on a video card. It's twice as fast and twice as good as the 5500 is. But I never really had any complaints about it. Once I build that media center/server/guest computer, I plan to put the 5500 in it. But I actually have a gaming rig! Yay! Speaking of which, I think I'll get to playing some Dawn of War now.

*Anything in italics is a new addition.

Repent! For tomorrow you die!

No comments: