Friday, May 25, 2007

Return of the Slack

I should have made a post a long time ago, but I'm easily distracted these days.

My new PC is finally built, and it screams. I can play Oblivion at maxed out settings with very little, if any, lag or skipping. It looks amazing. I had some issues with the first RAM I got, but it's all better now. The only lament is that the parts I had leftover, I was going to build Chris a tower out of, but the motherboard decided to quit on me. Fun time, fun times. I can't be certain, but I think there's a short near the IDE controllers on the board. Either way, it's dead and Chris doesn't have a desktop yet. But I can get good replacements for it for not very expensive at all, so it'll be all good in a week or so.

Hannah is recovering from her tonsillectomy nicely. I wish I could see her, but work just doesn't allow for it right now. Maybe next week, but I doubt it. We talk online and over the phone so it's not too bad. I'll be able to see her soon enough, but I do miss her so.

Mentioning work, is there anyone what knows of work in the triad area? 2 years and 3 months of retail is enough for me. I'm stuck where I am with no prospects or hopes of moving on or up. I need something better. As much as I hate mornings, I'd love a 9-5 Mon-Fri job. Or at least a M-F. I'd like to have my weekends free. I just need something that provides more challenges than just showing up on time. That's my "biggest" challenge at work. That's it. I schlep car stereos and GPS devices. There's no real fulfillment there. Even the amusement of separating fools and their money (not all of my customers, not even most) has lost its appeal. I want something that uses my brain. My current job doesn't. The most strenuous mental activity is figuring out in my head what stock I should put up when to maximize the use and location of my ladder. Whee. I do that, at most, twice a week. The rest of the time, I can shut the brain off and run in autopilot. And still perform well above standards and expectations. Job = too easy. At least Geek Squad required a little contemplating and thinking. Sigh.

i love to work at nothin' all day

No comments: