Monday, September 19, 2005

Gyar, aye matey!

National Talk Loik a Poirate Day! Yar!

The new monitor is still kicking ass.

As requested(read: hounded), a poem for Michelle:
"an ode to Michelle
silly short haiku poem
obligation done"

Thank you, thank you. No applause, just throw money. So my next paycheck, the one with nearly overtime, holiday pay and time and a half for my full day working Labor Day, will see the beginning of my Employee Stock Purchase plan. I am excited, especially given how strong Best Buy's stock seems to be. I'm also almost done with the training phase of Geek Squad. This week or next and then I'll be seeing the pay increase. Hooray for a higher pay scale! Don't get me wrong, the wage I was making on the floor in Car Fi was liveable for me. Single, little obligation, two roommates. But it wasn't what one would call "rolling" money. And I liked working over in Car Fi. There was responsibility, and I had more than most of the people in the department (aside from the Supervisor and the Senior) because Jimmy, the sup, knew he could trust me with it, and did, but not nearly the pressure that exists in, say, Computers. The Computer department is responsible for a much larger chunk of our daily budget than Car Fi. About ten times as much of the budget as Car Fi. And I get to listen to music all day. But eight hours working on computers is so much better for me and on me than six and half seling car stereos. Geek squad is where I wanted to be, and that's where they've got me. And a lot sooner than I thought I'd be there. And! I now have three Geek Squad t-shirts to wear until I "get" my Geek Squad uniforms. How awesome is that?

Man, I haven't made a real post in a long time, have I?

Have I mentioned I really like my job?

Another geek issue for you guys. Windows Vista. It used to be Longhorn, but the personal use version got renamed, whereas Longhorn is for servers. I got a hold of a copy of Vista Beta 1. And I have to say it's a very pretty system. A little faster than XP was on my laptop, which is somewhat surpising given that Megatron doesn't have but 512MB of RAM. I think Vista would actually look better on Skywarp, but there's some compatibility issues there I'm sure. The only things I don't like right off the bat, other than not working with the latest version of AIM, are the lack of a Disk Cleanup utility and the fact that it takes up SO MUCH SPACE. I'm sure there are files there I could delete if I wanted to, but I don't know what they are. I fear the "bloat" will only get worse in the final version. I might need to see about format Megatron and doing a fresh install. Might cut down on the size a bit, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe I should do that. Hmm.

I bet my laundry is done. Bleh. I hate doing laundry.

how I wish, how I wish you were here

1 comment:

The Blue-Eyed Rascal said...

You wrote me a poem! Yea! Crappiest haiku ever, but it's mine! Thank you, I love you! You're my best pal, EVER! Cuz when you think about it, is there any thing more poetic than an 'Ode to Michelle'? :) Thanks again.