Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Passing of an Old Friend

Or, rather, part of an old friend. Skywarp's Mach Speed 694TAS motherboard passed away some time over the weekend. I was not there to witness it's passing, but when I got home Sunday evening I saw that my computer had shut down. I did the usual tests, just to make sure (including a really nifty test borrowing the power supply and motherboard testers from the Geek Squad!), but it was the motherboard. Which is terribly convenient for me. I didn't want to have to take apart the power supply to get at my fans. Because of the age of the internal components, however, I was left in a quandry. It would have cost a significant amount to get a similarly performing motherboard. Apparently Mach Speed made the best performing one out there. And none of the ones I found were cheap at all. So for just a little more money I can upgrade the motherboard, get a better processor and faster RAM. Here is what Skywarp will look like when he is up and running again:

AMD Sempron 64 2800+
2GB PC3200 DDR RAM
20GB HDD
120GB HDD
Floppy
6-in-1 Media Reader
16x DVD-ROM
12x DVD+/-RW

And since John's Aunt is looking for a new computer, and has come to me for it, I might can afford to do that very, very soon. I can't wait!

i know, i know, i know, i want you, want you

No comments: